Ransomware Packages: Protect Your Most Critical Data
The Rising Threat of Ransomware
Ransomware is a class of malware that prevents users from accessing their systems or data and demands a sum of money to be paid in return for the decryption key. This has resulted in billions of dollars in losses with over 2 million incidents reported in 2019. These cyberattacks are getting more sophisticated and are holding organizations hostage until they pay millions in ransom. The reality is that you either pay the ransom or you keep an offline copy that is disconnected from the network to restore your production environment.
An Offline Data Copy for Ransomware Protection
An organization’s data is the most valuable currency. Although most companies regularly backup data, they are still vulnerable to ransom attacks that target entire networks and backup systems, and even the cloud. Tape storage is the most effective protection against ransomware, because it provides an offline, air-gapped copy that can easily be restored. It’s your last line of defense—simply because criminals can’t delete or encrypt what they can’t access over a network.
To help protect you against ransomware threats, we’ve created Quantum Ransomware Protection Packages. Three pre-defined Ransomware Protection Packages—small, medium, and large—are available at various capacity points. These are specifically designed to be the most secure way to store your critical data, truly offline.
Ransomware Protection Package Features
Ransomware Protection Packages come in three pre-configured versions to simplify the selection process for choosing the capacity you need protected. Feature highlights include:
- Ransomware Protection Packages come in small, medium and large capacity points fully loaded with security features.
- The Active Vault feature, only available in Quantum’s Scalar tape libraries, builds on tape’s inherently secure offline nature by creating a totally offline vault within the library itself creating a secure “Ransomware-Free Zone.”
- Quantum’s unique Active Vault feature can combine with military-grade encryption and Write Once Read Many (“WORM”) technology to create an ultra-secure place to keep a backup copy of your data.
- The packages can be sold with new system purchases or may be purchased separately for existing Quantum Scalar i3 and Scalar i6 tape libraries.
- These Ransomware Protection Packages can also be customized depending on customer needs. Prices may vary.
|Small – 3U||Medium – 6U||Large – 12U|
|Capacity*||Includes space for up to 600 TB capacity||Includes space for up to 1.2 PB capacity||Includes space for up to 2.4 PB capacity|
|Recommended Tape System Configuration||Scalar i3, 50 total slots
One (1) LTO-8 HH drive
Twenty (20) LTO-8 tapes
|Scalar i6, 100 total slots
Three (3) LTO-8 FH drives
Fifty (50) LTO-8 Tapes
|Scalar i6, 200 total slots
Six (6) LTO-8 FH drives
(100) LTO-8 Tapes
|Support||One-year Bronze 5x9||One-year 7x24x4 Gold||One-year 7x24x4 Gold|
|Ransomware Protection Pack: Software Add-On||
Proven Security Protection
Tape is inherently secure because data is stored offline, making it a proven solution against modern cyberattacks. It’s your last line of defense since criminals can’t delete or encrypt what they can’t access over a network.
Minimize Complexity, Maximize Efficiency
Ransomware Protection Packages come in small, medium and large capacity points fully loaded with security features. Quantum’s unique Active Vault feature, combined with military-grade encryption and Write Once Read Many (WORM) technology, creates an ultra-secure place to keep a backup copy of your data.
Cost-effective, Reliable Long-term Storage
With up to 30 TB of capacity, Quantum LTO tape can store more data in a single cartridge at the lowest cost than commonly leveraged media types, such as disk or cloud. In addition, power, rack space costs, and data center footprint are dramatically reduced, and there are no egress charges.
Tape Storage: The Most Effective Protection Against Ransomware
When ransomware viruses target backup systems, they lay dormant on networks undetected, and eventually encrypt the entire backup environment, including replicated copies, even in the cloud. Here are the benefits of using tape storage:
- Tape is inherently secure because data is stored offline, making it a proven solution against modern cyberattacks.
- An offline copy of tape on premise allows you to quickly recover from an air-gapped copy of your data.
- Tape provides the lowest-cost archive storage, with the lowest power consumption and cooling requirements.
- Tape has remained at the forefront of innovation, always evolving throughout its many generations with its cutting-edge ability to provide security, integrity, and availability.
- Tape on premise allows you to avoid data egress charges from cold storage cloud providers.
Backing up to disk alone does not secure your backup environment 100%, whereas having a combination of disk, cloud, and offline tape gives you end-to-end protection when a ransomware attack does occur. See related products:
DXi® Backup Appliances
Efficient, high-performance backup appliances that use variable-length deduplication and tight integration with all leading backup applications
Scalar® Tape Storage
The lowest-cost storage for long-term retention and archiving, and to provide an ‘offline’ copy of data to protect against hackers.
Ransomware Protection Resources
Ransomware White Paper
Ransomware Protection Solution Brief
Immunize Data From Ransomware With Scalar Active Vault Technology
HCI Data Protection Isn’t a Snap White Paper
Air-Gap: A Cybersecurity Benefit